Monday, September 15, 2008

Summer of Festivals

August 8, 2008 was the first annual New American Music Union festival in Pittsburgh thrown by American Eagle Outfitters. It's aim was to give aspiring college bands a chance to play alongside some of their idols (sort of). I say sort of because the college bands were shunned to the stages outside of the actual concert grounds during the daylight hours. I hope some of them got to go backstage with the headliners, because otherwise the trip might not have been worth it for them. There may have been 100-150 people outside the two tiny college stages at any time, not a whole lot of exposure considering. The web site for the event was put together really well giving patrons the ability to road test the performers before the show. This enabled us to see the bands we were interested in and get drunk on the cheap at local bars in the down time. It was nice. Especially when one of those bartenders filled our complimentary NAMU water bottles with free beer for the walk back to the venue - that rocked!


I have to admit that I was skeptical about an American Eagle hosted event, but they did a fantastic job! Not only did we get free T-shirts, and the afore mentioned water bottles, but free water! I almost felt bad for the water carts inside the venue, because there was no need. There were thousands of gallons of free water available - very noble of you AE! Pittsburgh isn't even that hot of a city. I go to Austin City Limits festival in a mere 10 days (yee!) and I doubt that they'll be that hospitable with the life sustaining fluids, despite that fact that it's going to be hot as balls. I have a feeling my Irish ass is going to melt, if it doesn't spontaneously combust first.




Now that I know that Austin was spared Ike's wrath I am starting to get super excited, which is why I am posting this although it's over a month past due. I will see The Raconteurs again there as well as The Fratelli's and Mates of State. Both of whom I've seen earlier this year. If I get plan coverage in Austin I'll be twittering updates, if not, you'll just have to wait until I get home. Luckily Bob Dylan won't be at ACL. If The Raconteurs get cut off early again I may start a riot.



Side note for Tree Brains fans:I wore my Tree Brains t-shirt to NAMU, and my sister had a t-shirt on that read "leave Brittney alone!" Her shirt got a lot of comments through out the day, but mine earned the best quote of the day: " boy 1: Dude, did you see that girls shirt? boy 2: Yeah man, doesn't Josh listen to The Tree Brains?" It was fucking priceless.

No comments: