Friday, August 1, 2008

It's like Deja Vu all over again

I fear there's a strange phenomenon sweeping the nation.....


A few blogs back I mentioned someone in my husband's office was fired yet their coffee mug remained, unwashed, for weeks afterward. What I didn't mention was that on that very same day someone in my office was fired for the exact same reason. (Fear of someone actually reading this and then getting fired myself for dishing too much dirt keeps me from telling you the reason here, but know that it still serves as excellent fodder for water cooler gossip!)




The other day I had to walk past this newly fired person's old desk and I noticed the pictures and personal effects they left behind were still there. Interesting, wait a moment, is that a coffee mug I spy? Yes it is, and.... it's not empty!!!! I tried to be nonchalant as I cruised by but couldn't help uttering a little "Huhhl" noise from the back of my throat. Yes, I actually squealed with delight. Luckily no one noticed. I couldn't believe my luck, I mean what are the odds of the same, very specific, phenomenon happening in two different places at once. How many other people were fired on that fateful Tuesday midway through their morning cup of joe? This needed to be documented immediately!



I made myself a note (yes I actually stuck a post-it onto my computer) that read "MUG PICTURE" (it's still there). I wanted to take a picture of the mug but would have to wait until most people were gone for the day.



Very stealthily I made my way back to the mug, I grabbed it and snuck back to my office. I couldn't risk snapping photo's at someone else's desk, I would get fired/arrested/sued for sure. I quickly snapped the photo's and placed the mug back in it's origional spot. You can see it must have been pretty full becuase the coffee skin is stretched downward and pulling away from the side. You will also notice some mattish looking spots, those are probably the beginnings of mold.





The weirdest thing about all of this for me is that while we live in the same town and happen to be married my husbands office and mine are competely different. One small, the other large yet these strange sets of circumstances parallel each other in every way. Doo, do, do, doo... (Really, professor friend, is there a way to calculate these odds?)




Anyway, the moldy mug has been there for 17 days now. I'll follow it's progress and post updates....I also have a spy in place to alert me if someone decides to chuck it.

No comments: