Friday, November 14, 2008

kickin' it up a nerdy notch

All the good movie rental places have closed in my area, so now we're left to get our videos from the crappy rental place I used to make fun of. It's that or On-demand which is a little pricey considering how many movies I'll take in now that my winter hibernation is underway. Plus I got tired of the looks I get from the family of dolts that work at the video place every time I ask if they carry a movie off the mainstream radar so I bit the bullet and signed up for Netflix.

Once I got my first confirmation I knew I was going to love this service. I was also reminded once again of what an amazing nerd I am, mostly because when I asked little sister if she wanted to watch any of the movies with me she responded, "No one wants to watch those movies but you." Now I know that's completely untrue, but I do have a feeling I hold the title for the nerdiest trio of movies to ever arrive from Netflix in one mailing. What are these embarrassing movies I was so excited to receive in my mailbox? Re-Animator, The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, and The Toxic Avenger. I know, right?

There's no doubt Re-Animator is one of the best zombie movies of all time, and The Toxic Avenger is just plain fun, but it's King of Kong I have been dying to see. I listen to Howard Stern religiously, usually catching each show twice with the replays, and they've been playing the crap out of a clip from King. The one where bitch boy Brian Kuh is telling everyone in the arcade about the impending kill screen (hoping the stress will break our hero, Steve Wiebe). Then last week's geek shirt of the week on Topless Robot was a shirt featuring Mr. Kuh and his famous line, "There's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up if anyone is interested" I just knew the gods wanted me to see this movie.

(Spolier Alert: If you think the gods want you to see this movie watch it before you continue reading this because as you know I hold nothing back)

The gods were right because I loved it!! Who knew there was such a seedy underbelly to the world of professional gaming. I started watching thinking that Billy Mitchell was a little smug for being such a tremendous geek, but conceded that since he was the king of the geeks he was entitled. However my feelings for Mr. Mitchell turned to anger, and then disdain as I watched him continuously plot to cheat the deserving Steve Wiebe of a title that was rightfully his. Also, I would kill to be a grocery store manager in his area. If he came into my store and re-arranged my shelves so his competitors hot sauce was all behind his I'd ban his ass....and his feathered hair. Having his man-boy Brian Kuh do his bidding is pretty low too, don't waste your time trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, he never man's up, just go ahead and loath him from the beginning. It's probably more fun that way. Notice too how you never see Billy Mitchell playing a video game. I think it's fair to say he's probably all washed up. Funny how I can hate someone I never met so much. And, his wife should put those things away, they're not that great, unless sloppy is your thing. - MEOW!

I don't think the makers of this documentary film knew what a goldmine they had on their hands. It would have been impossible to predict how out of control things would get over a game of Donkey Kong. It's pretty apparent the film makers had picked a side in the battle for the crown, but I walked away feeling most sympathetic for Steve's wife and kids. There are a couple of times when his kids are screaming for their Dad to stop playing Donkey Kong and pay some attention to them for a change. You really saw the toll Steve's quest took on his family. Still it was probably worth the struggle the family went through because the end result was a husband/father who has a sense of pride through accomplishment and is brimming with self esteem. It was a wild ride full of deceit and shady deeds and I hung on every minute. Always a sucker for a happy ending though, I was happy to see our hero come out triumphant in the end. This is truly an awesome journey, go rent it and chase the winter blues away!

If you're interested, The AV Club has a good article with Billy and the director of the film here. Billy even refers to his wife as a trophy in it - priceless! Also, NEVER buy Rickey's hot sauce, try Red Hot instead, it's Wendo approved. Really, I put that shit on everything.

No comments: