Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Cherry Christmas!!

I've been pretty bummed about the lack of snow in my neck of the woods this Christmas. I've also noticed there haven't been many good Christmas shows on TV either. I mean, it's pretty sad when a network's 25 Days of Christmas promotion features the movies Cars and The Incredible's.

One thing I haven't missed out on though is an amazing array of truly crappy displays of outdoor Christmas decorating. People are so un-inventive they just slap a giant blow-up Grinch, Santa, family of snowmen in their yard along with a few grids of net lighting and call it a day.

In my neighborhood there's one residence we all refer to as "the porch with a house on it" it's that disproportionate. They have one of those blow ups that's about as long as their house.... and it plays music. Loudly. They're a good 5 houses away from me, yet I can hear it from my front porch. Ahh, the joys of a white trash Christmas. Do I dare mention that some of CM's close relatives reside in that house? Yep, that's a fact! Would I shit you on Christmas?

As silly as that all is, I wanted highlight another house in my area. I have to drive by this house to get to mine and look forward to their holiday display every year. Each year it gets bigger and better. I can only describe it as an extravaganza, but in that so bad it's good kind of way. They work on it really hard, toiling for weeks before they ever hit the lights. I've often thought it looks as though a tornado dropped the entire Christmas isle of Big Lots on their yard and this is what they ended up with. This year I noticed several teddy bears made the cut. I don't know what that has to do with Christmas, but kudos to them for flexing their artistic muscles a little. I'll let you judge for yourself, just give your mind some time to really take it all in.


Here's a day shot, so you can see all the detail...



Here's one by night, so you can experience it in all it's glory.....



How great is that?!? In closing I urge you all to have a Cherry Christmas. All it takes are a few friends down at your local bar on Christmas Eve and enough cherry bombs to kill a horse. (TIP: If you offer to buy the whole jar, the bartender will usually cut you a deal.) I'm not saying I've ever had a Cherry Christmas, it might just be something of an urban legend/tradition amongst some of my friends

UPDATE: On Christmas night I totally got drunk with my brother and sister watching the aforementioned Cars and drinking Yuengling! It was the funnest Christmas I've had in a while.

No comments: