Monday, October 13, 2008

...say number 13

It's October 13th and I wanted to post a little FYI for all of you Halloween junkies out there. I've been sort of disappointed in the movies showing on Sci-fi network during their 31 days of Halloween and ABC Family and Disney haven't been serving out their normal amount of kid friendly cheese I crave this time of year. I haven't seen much on AMC either so if any of you know where the good Halloween movies are, tip me off, because I feel like I'm missing something. I emptied out the DVR in hopes to fill it with Halloweenie goodness and that hasn't happened yet.
So, If you love horror movies and Halloween related anything these little tip offs are for you. I have to warn you, I don't discriminate. I love the good and bad alike, for a number of reasons. While you may not love everything on my list, hopefully you'll find something to your liking.

I also have to give a little shout out to one of my all-time favorites 'The Fly'. Husband had never seen the whole thing so we watched that this weekend too. I still don't think he gets my fascination with it, but this movie helped sculpt my love of both Science Fiction and nerdy boys. I mean when Jeff Goldblum says, "..Me, you, and the baby. We'll be the perfect family unit all in one being" it melts my freakin' heart. I'd try to examine that one further, but I'm afraid of what I'd learn about myself....

At eight am Saturday morning, with nothing on the tele, I stumbled upon Clive Barker's 'Midnight Meat Train' on Fearnet. I thought it was great. The effects were very satisfying, lots of blood and guts everywhere. At one point the killer hits someone on the back of the head and their eyeball goes flying out of it's socket - brilliant! I also liked the ending. Not the first place your brain goes while following this thriller, but I did get there before they did. The whole thing was artfully done and I enjoyed it immensely. Watch this immediately - it's free for crying out loud!

This weekend I also watched 'Mindwarp' starring my man, Bruce Campbell. Bruce was young and virile in this one and that was probably all I needed to enjoy this film. It's supposed to show a bleak future world where all of our resources had been used up blah, blah, blah, so a group of people are forced to live underground below the land fills. Remember this was made in the 80's so when they find that old Atari controller it's really brand new. The highlight of the movie came early on for me, when Bruce takes that young girls virginity. I can't help but wish it had been me. Don't be upset that I'm giving something away here, this flick is as predictable as it gets. It's your typical crappy 80's sci-fi fare, so of course I liked it. Yelling at the poor choices made by the characters on my TV screen has always been a hobby of mine. You can participate as well, catch it on Fearnet.

One of my favorite B level horror flicks is Black Sheep. We had borrowed it from a friend (thanks Lauren) and I watched it kind of reluctantly, but was glad I did - it was great!! It involves an experiment gone wrong where the sheep start to crave blood, but once bitten, you're infected and then become a killer sheep yourself. You know, your typical zombie story line. I watched Mulberry Street last night on Sci-fi thinking that this would be more of the same. The plot is similar, killer rats in New York City are biting people and turning them into killer zombie rats. This however wasn't you're run of the mill, so cheesy it's good variety of movie they tend to run on Sci-fi. I really liked this one. Very metaphoric and artfully shot this movie was a more realistic (at times - like when the president is MIA during a crisis) look at what it would like to be quarantined in the big apple with zombies on the loose. My only complaint might be that the zombie rats couldn't figure out how to break through glass but they could if someone dropped something that made a noise. It's no surprise then that in this movie people dropped things, a lot. The ending made me mad, and I cried when a certain key cast member got caught by the zombies but it's also that time of the month so don't hold that against me.

Hopefully that will get you started. I'm also eagerly awaiting my arrival of 'The Worst Witch' (the movie) starring Tim Curry. I hate the Haaaaaallllooooweeeeen song, but other than that the tale of Mildred Hubble finally learning how to be a witch warms my heart. I haven't seen it since it used to run on HBO when I was a kid, I hope it holds up. I also hope it arrives before Halloween, Amazon hasn't even shipped it yet and I ordered it ten days ago - WTF Amazon.

No comments: