Thursday, October 2, 2008

Every town has one, this town has lots

The only way I can aptly describe the part of town I work in is "low class". It's probably cheap rent, but other than the people who come here to work, the people in this part of town don't work. There's lots of section 8 housing and white trash as far as the eye can see. I was walking to the store to grab a snack on my break when my sister and I had a run in with some of the local color...

Crazy Lady: You shouldn’t smoke
Me: You shouldn’t lecture
CL: I don’t want to breath in your smoke
Me: Cross the street
CL: I can walk where I want it’s a free country
Me: Exactly!
CL: Smoking kills you know, you’re going to die from smoking
Me: (she was pretty heavy) You know what else kills? Obesity and Diabetes.
CL: Some day it’s going to be against the law to smoke in public, you’ll go to jail – for smoking!
Me: Someday ain’t today lady. Do you really think you can match wits with ME?
Sister: (flipping out) Leave me alone! Quit bothering me, just shut the fuck up!
CL: Quit blowing your smoke in my face.

At this point we just started to ignore her. She had no argument (and I can really be argumentative if I want to) but there was no challenge there. Now I’m no advocate of smoking, but this was just annoying – like fighting with a five year old - you know you're right, and you also know you'll never win. I went into the store and Sister was left outside. While she put her cigarette out on the side of the trash can (so she could dispose of it properly and not litter) Crazy Lady said “Great, now you’re going to catch the garbage can on fire” – unreal!

No comments: